We all know that dogs love to eat and chew on things that they aren't necessarily supposed to. Our Maury County vets explain the signs and symptoms that your dog has been poisoned by something they've eaten, so you can get them the help they need as quickly as possible.
The most common cases of dogs being poisoned are unintentional accidents. Frequently our family pets have gotten into things they shouldn't have and loving dog owners are left panicked and wondering what to do.
In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even just eaten treats that just aren't suitable for dog metabolisms.
Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs
Your home and garden are filled with items that are potentially toxic or poisonous to your dog. That's why it's important to know where your dog is at all times and to keep potentially harmful substances beyond the reach of your curious dog's mouth.
Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:
- Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
- Oven cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Furniture polish
- Drain cleaners
- Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
- Yew trees
- Spring bulbs
Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs
Depending on the type of poison, the early signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs vary tremendously. Here is a list of some common signs and symptoms that your dog has been poisoned:
- Excessive bruising or bleeding
- Unsteady on feet
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Oral irritation
- Pale gums
- Inability to urinate
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Heart problems
- Kidney failure
It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take several days to appear, and in some cases could even take months.
Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning
If you know that your dog has eaten something poisonous it is essential to seek emergency care immediately. The fact that your dog doesn't display any symptoms right away does not mean that they are safe from the effects of the poisonous substance!
Some of the long-term symptoms of your dog coming in contact with poisonous substances include irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, loss of blood, and neurological symptoms such as seizures.
What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned
If your dog has been poisoned it is important to stay calm and call your emergency vet immediately.
Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, it may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.
Do not try to administer doggie first aid. Different poisonous substances require different actions. While some cases may call for inducing vomiting, in other cases inducing vomiting could make your dog even sicker. Get your dog to the vet as quickly as possible and let your veterinary professionals administer appropriate treatment.
If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.